Head Instructor Joe McBurney started his martial arts journey in 1992 in Tae Kwon Do in search of realistic self-defense. A year and a half later he switched to Southern Style Shaolin Kung fu because of the less restrictive rules. In 1995 he found a Muay Thai Kickboxing gym “Powerhouse Martial Arts” where he finally found what many consider the best stand-up martial art. In 2000 he started training in USJA Jujitsu under 4th-Dan Butch Hill at the Nashville dojo. Two Years later in 2002, Joe started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at Nashville MMA. Joe has 29 Years Of martial arts experience and has 20 years of teaching experience. He has earned the following ranks in Martial arts.
- 20 years experience, 1st Degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- 18 years experience, Certified Instructor in Muay Thai Kickboxing
- 25 years experience, 1st degree Black Belt in Shorin Ryu Karate
- 8 years experience, 1st Degree Black Belt in USJA Jujitsu
- 4 years Experience, 9-1 Professional record in MMA
In addition to the rank and certifications Joe has achieved, he has also has trained in various other martial arts throughout his martial arts journey including Aikido, Krav Maga, Judo, Boxing, Wing Chun Kung Fu, and Filipino Kali.